Does your skin suddenly feel dry and rough? Is it breaking out more than usual or getting red and itchy? These could be signs of stress that are showing up on your skin.
See our favorite skincare hacks to reverse these signs of stressed-out skin, plus get some tips on how to better manage stress to prevent its negative effects on your skin and entire body.
How Are Stress and Skin Related?
When we are stressed — whether acutely, like right before a job interview, or over long periods of time — our bodies respond by releasing hormones like cortisol and adrenaline into our bloodstreams. While helpful when we are in real danger and need to rely on natural “flight or fight” instincts, these hormones can cause a cascade of negative effects on our bodies and skin.
Cortisol, for instance, leads to an increase in sebum (oil) production in the skin, which can clog pores and cause acne. When elevated for a long period of time, cortisol can also lead to premature skin aging.
Additionally, chronic stress induces an inflammatory response, which can cause flare-ups of inflammatory skin conditions like eczema and rosacea, as well as lead to skin dryness, redness, and sensitivities.
How to Treat Stressed-Out Skin
If signs of stress are showing up on your skin, try implementing these skincare tips into your routine:
- Use gentle, anti-inflammatory ingredients. Now is not the time to use harsh or aggressive skincare products or treatments, since your skin is already responding to inflammation. Instead, use calming cleansers and moisturizers that contain anti-inflammatory ingredients like chamomile, feverfew, and aloe to help soothe and rebalance your skin.
- Use a barrier repair moisturizer to keep irritants out. Barrier repair moisturizers not only hydrate dry, dull skin, but they also create a physical barrier between your skin and the outside environment to keep irritants and allergens out.
- Try a relaxing in-office facial. Choose a gentle facial treatment like HydraFacial™ to help revive dull, stressed skin. We love HydraFacial for stressed-out skin because this three-step treatment gently cleanses, hydrates, and protects your skin without any harsh treatments or products.
- Practice healthy lifestyle habits. Getting enough sleep, drinking plenty of water, and eating a healthy diet can go a long way when it comes to getting and maintaining soft, healthy skin. These habits can also do wonders for managing stress, offering preventative benefits, too!
How to Prevent Stressed Skin
The number-one way to prevent stressed skin is to take steps to better manage your response to stress. While it is impossible to avoid stress altogether, there are many ways to help your mind and body cope with life’s stressors when they inevitably come up.
- Download a stress-relief app. There are many free and paid apps for stress-relief that you can download on your phone and tap into when you need a break or feel overwhelmed. Some of the best-rated mental health apps include Calm, Headspace, Happify, and Wysa.
- Go outside. Numerous studies have demonstrated the mental and physical benefits of being outside in nature. Make time in your schedule to get outside daily to help lower stress and boost your mood.
- Stay active. Studies also show that physical activity profoundly reduces stress and its unwanted effects by releasing feel-good endorphins and balancing stress hormones. Pick any type of exercise that you enjoy doing, such as walking outside, doing yoga, or weight lifting, to reap the mental and physical benefits.
Still have questions about the best way to revive stress-out skin? Call our Boca Raton office at 561-462-0489 or get in touch with us online to book a time to talk with one of our skincare experts.