If you’re skincare-obsessed like us, you might be familiar with “skinTok,” a collection of skincare-based TikTok content. One of the latest skinTok trends that has everyone talking (and rubbing fruit on their faces) is “banana peel BOTOX.” Touted as a natural alternative to injectable BOTOX for wrinkles, the banana peel skincare trend has left many skincare enthusiasts wondering if it really works or if it’s too good to be true.
Here, we break down what the banana peel BOTOX trend is, how it works (or doesn’t work) and what you can do to effectively get rid of wrinkles.
What’s the TikTok Banana Peel BOTOX Trend?
Several TikTok users have posted videos of themselves trying the banana peel natural BOTOX hack, which goes as follows:
- Peel an overripe banana.
- Rub the inside of the peel over your skin.
- Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
The claim is that this skincare hack tightens your skin and smooths away lines and wrinkles similar to the way that BOTOX works. But board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jonathan Cook of Sanctuary Medical Center in Boca Raton, Florida explains that “if [this hack] is eliminating wrinkles, it can’t be working like BOTOX. BOTOX works on the muscles beneath the skin, which is why we have to inject it to put it there. BOTOX wouldn’t work if you simply rubbed it on your skin.”
Does Rubbing a Banana Peel on Your Face Help with Wrinkles?
The idea that banana peels could have some benefits for your skin isn’t entirely wrong. In fact, bananas contain a number of beneficial compounds that can be great for your skin and body as whole. However, it is important to note that no amount of banana or banana peel is going to reduce wrinkles as significantly as an injectable treatment like BOTOX or fillers. As Dr. Cook mentioned above, injectable skin treatments work beneath the skin and are never applied topically. Therefore, the wrinkle-reducing mechanisms of BOTOX and topical ingredients work in very different ways.
That said, bananas do possess strong anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties. Some research suggests that the anti-inflammatory compounds found in bananas can help to soothe skin irritations, bug bites, eczema, and other inflammatory skin conditions. Unfortunately, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that banana peels can reduce wrinkles or dark spots on the skin.
Are There Downsides to Rubbing Banana Peels on Your Face?
Generally speaking, trying the banana peel skinTok trend isn’t likely to cause any harm — just know that it might not offer many noticeable benefits, either. However, there is always a chance that your skin could have an allergic reaction to anything new that you apply to it, especially if you have sensitive skin. If you are going to try an at-home banana peel face mask, test it on a small area of skin before rubbing it all over your face. That way, if you do experience redness or a rash, it is isolated to a small area.
What Are the Best Skin Treatments for Wrinkles?
If you’re serious about getting rid of wrinkles and want to see more dramatic and longer-lasting results than hacks like the banana peel BOTOX trick can offer, talk to your skincare professional about these proven and effective treatments for lines and wrinkles.
- BOTOX. One of the most popular wrinkle treatments available, BOTOX is an injectable product that works by temporarily relaxing the facial muscle contractions that cause lines and wrinkles to show up on your skin. Over time, these dynamic wrinkles can become static, or permanent, wrinkles. For this reason, BOTOX can also have a preventative effect on wrinkles by preventing the dynamic wrinkles from forming in the first place. BOTOX typically lasts for 3 to 4 months before a touch-up treatment will be needed to maintain your results.
- Fillers. Equally popular are dermal fillers, which are another type of injectable wrinkle treatment. While there are many types of fillers, hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers are among the most popular. HA fillers can be used to not only smooth away lines and wrinkles but can also add volume to the cheeks and lips. HA fillers can last up to 18 months before a maintenance treatment will be needed to keep your same results.
- Lasers. Laser and light treatments are popular anti-aging choices because not only can they improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles, but they can also treat dark spots, uneven skin tone and texture, redness, acne scars, and other common skin concerns. Various laser and light treatments can also be combined for even more comprehensive skin rejuvenation results.
- Microneedling. Devices such as Genius RF microneedling combine microneedling technology with radiofrequency waves to offer a one-two punch when it comes to getting rid of lines and wrinkles. This combined approach triggers your skin’s natural cell renewal process and collagen production, providing a restorative effect that harnesses your skin’s natural ability to heal itself. Because RF microneedling boosts collagen, results will gradually improve over time and can last for several months.
- Peels. Unlike banana peels, chemical peels can offer an effective and lasting solution to fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots, acne scars, sun damage, and other common skin conditions. Peels are customized to meet your skin’s unique needs and type, and results can last for 1 to 2 months or longer, depending on the type of peel and ingredients used.
If you want to give “banana peel BOTOX” a try, go for it — it likely won’t do any harm to your skin. However, know that it is also unlikely to have a noticeable effect on your complexion, either. Injectable treatments like BOTOX and fillers, on the other hand, can offer dramatic and long-lasting anti-aging results, not to mention they are a lot less messy than slathering your skin with an old banana peel!
If you’d rather give real BOTOX or other anti-aging skin treatments a try instead, give our Boca Raton office a call at 561-462-0489 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our sought-after skincare professionals.